‘Tis the season to reap the rewards of all the hard work you put into your summer garden. Personally, I have veggies galore filling the fridge in every nook and cranny. Part of tonight’s meal is a direct reflection of what we are harvesting and a family favorite – cole slaw.
- 1/2 Head of sliced cabbage
- 1 large julienned carrot
- 1 small seeded green pepper sliced thin
- 1 large jalapeño seeded & sliced thin
- 2 small baby sweet red peppers seeded & sliced thin (or use 1 small red pepper)
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional, but increase mayo by 1/4 cup if you don’t use it)
- 3 Tbsp white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Combine all sliced vegetables. Mix dressing ingredients and pour over slaw, stirring to cover thoroughly. The slaw can be eaten right away…but, if you can contain yourself, it gets even better after a couple of hours.
If you feel adventurous you can add a few optional ingredients such as fresh herbs like lemon or orange thyme and even parsley. One favorite is celery seed, which is best to let rest overnight so the seeds can soften. With this basic dressing recipe, the sky is the limit!